Dr. Chaim Kubersky, Director of Department of Education, Jerusalem Mayor Teddy Kollek, Sidney Kluger, Book Bank USA founder, and Mrs. Rachel Cohen, Chief Librarian of the Jerusalem municipal public libraries. They met to honor Mr. Kluger during his visit to Israel.
Book Book Bank USA is a non-profit organization founded in 1966 to establish and resupply public and school libraries, as well as community centers in developing countries.
Funding for the procuring of books, packaging and shipping is sought from foundations and individuals in the United States. We have:
- Sent over six million books to 37 countries in Asia, Oceania, Africa, the Middle East and Central America.
- Established entire libraries in some countries;
- Restocked exhausted shelves in others;
- Arranged for a fully equipped bookmobile for the city of Jerusalem;
- Received requests for every kind of book;
- Provided technical manuals, art books, general literature, encyclopedias, children’s books and teaching materials;
- Donated computers and related materials, library shelving, tables, chairs and ancillary educational equipment;
- Established nearly 30 art centers in nine countries;
- Established a special education library on the Caribbean island of Saint Kitts.
Following our original charter, Book Bank USA has developed an organizational facility with appropriate staffing to maintain this essentially volunteer program.
We have now accrued valuable experience and connections, as well as visibility through nearly 42 years of placing books and educational materials in the hands of underprivileged people yearning to read and hungry for a better understanding of the world we all inherit.