In this series of photos (top to bottom), we see the life-size puppets to commemorate the Dia De Los Muertos, a holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and around the world. I
In the second photo, Andy Kluger, Book Bank USA and Executive Director, is getting his face painted with a skull to symbolize Day of the Dead(Día de los Muertos). This day is particularly celebrated in Mexico as a national holiday every year on October 30th and focuses on gatherings to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died.
In the third photo, Andrew Kluger is shown with Bea Lieberman, who helped coordinate Book Bank USA founder Sidney Kluger’s archival papers for museums in Mexico, Israel, Hungary, New York , and the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.
In 1968, Mr. Kluger donated a bookmobile to the City of Jerusalem as a result of a feature story in Life Magazine in which Mayor Teddy Kollek of that city appealed for such a gift to promote better relations between the Arab and Israeli populations of that city.
That marked the beginning of Book Bank USA. Today, our organization continues to evolve and develop a wide range of programs to 37 countries globally.
At 5,895 meters (19,341 feet), Mt. Kilimanjaro is both the highest mountain in Africa, as well as the world’s highest free-standing mountain.
This non-profit group is the world’s largest shipper of books to the African continent. In fact, since 1988, Books for Africa has collected, sorted, shipped, and distributed over 26 million high-quality text and library books to children and adults in 46 African countries. Book Bank USA is very proud of this alliance with another world-class organization who wants to end illiteracy among the world’s children.
3. Book Bank USA provided scholarship support to the 59th Chrysanthemum Festival sponsored by the Sons and Daughters of the Nisei Veterans in Maui, Hawaii. Our donation provided financial support for the many programs for the Nisei Veterans, their families, Maui’s students and the Maui community. The funds also assisted the building of the Educational Center and the completion of the Oral History project of the Center. In addition, this project provided Scholarship funds for High School Seniors in Maui County. (Pictured: Queen Alyssa McAliden and escort Aaron Dela Cruz perform during the 2011 Chrysanthemum Festival on Dec. 3 in Wailuku.)
4. Book Bank USA provided scholarship funds and 27 computers to the Daraja Academy in Kenya during 2011. Daraja Academy is a boarding secondary school for Kenyan girls with top academic scores and exceptional leadership skills who have no means to continue their education. The academy provides shelter, food, healthcare and counseling services which allows students to focus on their academic and personal potential, without being hindered by the everyday barriers of poverty.(Pictured on the left.)
5. Book Bank USA provided 86 cases of books as well as 35 computers to the public schools in Cuidad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico under the direction of Dr. Jorge Monterrubio, Esquire, Book Bank USA’s attorney and coordinator in Mexico.
6. Book Bank USA provided an entertainment center to the Women’s Shelter (for battered women and children) in the Finsbury District of London, England.
7. Book Bank USA contributed to the Annual Scholarship Fund at St. Andrew’s Priory School for Girls in Honolulu, Hawaii towards financial assistance for families of limited means in order to afford their daughters a college preparatory education.
8. Book Bank USA supplied a full lending library to The California State Prison facility in Corcoran, California.